Friday, January 28, 2011

How to Streamline your Spices

The magnetic spice rack idea is floating around the web on hundreds of sites.  I can't remember where I first saw it, but the idea has always captivated me.  I love storing spices in stainless steel containers, love reducing clutter in my cabinet space, and love the look of spices stored in uniform ways.

My metal containers are from Ikea, and a package of 3 is $4.99.  These containers are larger than I expected, and the lids fit very securely.  They have an extra large magnet on the back so rest assured it won't fall off your magnetic surface.



I used my labelmaker (free after rebate at Staples a few years ago) to make clear labels for each container.



I chose to put my spice containers on the side of my refrigerator.  My kitchen isn't that large, and this area of my refrigerator is easily accessible when I'm cooking or baking.  I have seen others put them on a cookie sheet and lean it against a cabinet or backsplash, or you could have a piece of metal cut to fit on the inside of a cabinet door.  Whatever works for you.  But, for me, the magnetic space on my fridge was already paid for and involved no extra trips to the store.  :)  I also feel like it's a form of artwork in my kitchen... functional artwork.

Wouldn't this be a great wedding or housewarming gift?  You could buy spices in bulk from Costco or Sam's, and then put them in these containers and give them on a cookie sheet!  I just may do that for my next wedding gift....

Pin It! Buffer

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I love it. I can even go to IKEA! If I buy some, will you make me labels and mail them to me? I don't have a nifty label maker!...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle- sure I'll make your labels. Send me the names of your spices in an email or FB message. Or you could print some on the computer and use scotch tape to put them on, or you could just write them by hand and stick them on the back, whatever you want. But I'd be happy to make them for you too, friend. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I may take you up on it. Or I may put them on the backs...I need to actually buy the tins first! Oh, a solution to the land of "spices come in bags" and it drives me CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! Unfortunately, I am in an apartment so I can't do it and my spice cupboard is suffering because of it. Once I am in a house I am definitely doing this! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. IKEA to the rescue!!!! This is gorgeous! So sleek and modern and super organized! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:50 PM

    this looks amazing! So need and easy to find! I love Ikea, wish I had one closer! Would love for you to come link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings! www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    Just wanted to let you know that I “ Featured” you on Santa’s Gift Shoppe Blog Hop today for your great project & inspiration! Be sure to grab the “I was featured” on Santa’s Gift Shoppe Button/Code for your sidebar! You deserve it! Thanks so much..If you’re not a follower already we’d love for you to join us...
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely perfect! Those spice tins are the best! Psst.... they are great for small crafts too! :)

    Thanks for linking up and sharing with me!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. (=... LOVE IKEA.. and we do the same for our spices.. and have been keeping them on the side of the fridge toooo.. lol.. BUT, no nifty labels for me.. )= most of the times, I just KNOW what it is cause I can see it.. bwahahahaha Can't wait to move back to my OWN house... There we had a piece of sheet metal drilled into the inside of our cabinet...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dottie7:38 AM

    Ohhh, I love this idea! I've loved it ever since I first saw it a few years ago somewhere. But I have a son who has autism, OCD, and a few other things that will prevent me from doing this. As soon as the spices are accessible like that, they will be either dumped or hidden. He barely can stand refrigerator magnets. But I looooooove the idea and the look. Would be perfect for my tiny kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! I have been wanting to get those for my spices, and I am certain I will as soon as I move into my new house in three weeks :)
    I ALSO think I am going to buy them for my daughters sewing area in her room to store all the ribbons and buttons in plain sight. I think it will be perfect for that

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really nice! I posted this on my FB business (organizing) page. I use a similar idea at my desk with a metal strip on the wall - I use my containers to store paper clips, staples and chocolate covered espresso beans.

    ReplyDelete