Sunday, June 05, 2011

Front Facing Bookshelves for my Daughter's Room

The last time we were visiting my parents, I asked my Dad to build some shelves fro my daughter's room.  She had a built-in desk in her bedroom, and the previous owners had left a mirror which hung above the desk.  I wanted to replace the mirror with shelves to display all kinds of books, puzzles, and other sentimental items that weren't fit for a two year old's hands.

Prior to our trip to Alabama, I measured the opening above the desk and asked my Dad to build three shelves.  We painted them white, because I wanted them to blend with the wall color.  They fit just perfectly inside this little nook in her room.

Here you can see that the back of the shelf is actually taller than the front, giving it lots of stability.

These books stack easily on the shelves.

And other items can hang off the edge of the shelves.

So, here's the before.......

And now the after.....



I first saw this idea here.
Pin It! Buffer

3 comments:

  1. These look so fabulous Amy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a difference. It looks fantastic.

    Ginger
    Literally Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:45 AM

    It looks great. A much better use of the space- storage is always handy.

    ReplyDelete