Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How to Make Crayon Shapes with Silicone Molds


Anyone else have a bag of broken used crayons?  Yesterday, my kiddos and I used these old crayons (and some new ones, too) to create heart-shaped crayons for Valentine's Day.


There are several tutorials on the internet for how to do this, and they all vary just a bit.  I'm certainly not trying to recreate anyone's project, but just sharing what worked for us.


The first step is to remove any paper left on the crayons.  You can use a knife or razor blade to help with this.  Then, cut or break the crayons into small pieces.  Depending on the size of your molds, the sizes will vary.  My molds were small (about 1.5 inches in diameter), so I cut my crayons to 1/2" or less in length.  Don't let the kiddos participate in this step - sharp knives and little hands are not a good combination!


Allow the little hands around your house to fill the molds with the crayon pieces.  I have seen many variations of this step- some people just mixed all colors in with each other, making a rainbow crayon.  Others have put all the greens in one mold, yellows in another, etc.  This creates a mosaic of one color, but the various shades give it interest too.  Totally up to you and your child.

Make sure you have an oven-safe mold.  My molds were silicone and I bought them at Ikea.  Here's a few silicone molds available online if you don't have an Ikea nearby-



Once your molds are full, put them on a baking sheet and into a preheated oven at 250 degrees F.  {Please ignore my dirty oven!}  I baked my crayons for 13 minutes, but times may vary depending on your oven.  Watch them closely!


When you remove  them from the oven, use a toothpick to pop any bubbles or push any big crayons deep into the mold (this is especially important if you use some jumbo crayons like I did).


Put them into a freezer for about 10-15 minutes.  This allows them to get very hard (and cold!).


Flip the mold over and pop them out.  This is easy to do since the molds are silicone and are flexible.


Wrap a few together for a gift, or give your kids a piece of paper and let them start coloring!  This is such a simple and fairly cheap idea for holiday gifts, party favors, or just a fun rainy day activity.

I was inspired by this pin on Pinterest for this post.
Pin It! Buffer

13 comments:

  1. This is so neat!!! Would like to invite you to share this with us at Sharing Saturday here..

    http://www.mamamiasheart2heart.com/2012/03/sharing-saturday-9.html

    Thanks so much and have a great weekend,
    ~MiaB

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely! I didn't knew that this was possible! I will show it to the kids and we'll do it at home!! Thank's for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:42 PM

    My cousin did this as Christmas gifts for the young kids last year. My 2yo daughter absolutely loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you please tell me how your mold turned out? Once it's used for crayons, is it usable for anything else, or will it forever be for crayons? I've borrowed a silicone tray from a friend, but don't want to ruin it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I haven't had good luck removing the crayons completely from the silicone tray. So, my advice would be not to use your friend's try but to buy one designated specifically for crayons. Sorry!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:46 AM

      I tried it in a silicone tray in the microwave and , it leaked :( . Wish I would have read this 1st..Thanks for sharring...

      Delete
    3. Anonymous4:03 AM

      Clean the tray will vegetable oil, it removes all the crayon residue :)

      Delete
  5. Angie Wood10:51 AM

    I am doing this with my 4 year old useing Bee molds ..for "BEE My valentine" valentine cards..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:31 PM

    My grandaughter and i are going to do it for her valentine's gift to her class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad to hear this- let me know how it works for you! :)

      Amy @ Gabriel's Good Tidings

      Delete
  7. Im doing this with robot molds for my son's first birthday party favors! Hope they turn out great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Through plastic molding, there are various kinds of plastic products that are offered in the market and create a new thing to offer for their consumers.
    Thanks for sharing nice article post..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once the plastic beads are already inside the equipment, the beads together with any material added will move over the opening within the extruder hollow towards a twist system. The screw will revolve ad it will force the plastic to advance over the cavity.

    Thanks for share here..

    Silicone

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...