Monday, May 28, 2012

Laundry Room Cabinets and Organization


I was so excited to have my parents come to town for my daughter's birthday party a few weekends ago.  It's always great to see them, but having their help around the house is invaluable.

Last summer I shared my laundry room update with you, and although there were many things still undone, it was a much need (and much improved) transformation.  And, as I described in the original post, this room is a "meeting point" in our home.  It is about eight feet wide, but very deep, and contains four doors in this space.  From this room, you can enter the garage, the patio, the kitchen or the sewing room. 

This is a photo of what the laundry room looked like when we bought the house in August of 2010.


Last summer, we painted, added new shelves, and made some organizational stations in this room.  I loved it- I really did but knew the day would come when it would be over-hauled again.  This is what it looked like after the first transformation.


Then one day in April, I was browsing Craigslist and stumbled on these amazing cabinets- brand new!- just a few miles from my house.  I couldn't resist.  Although they were meant to be "base" cabinets, I flipped them upside down and made them into wall-mount cabinets.  My father added a strip of crown molding to the top to make it look like one built-in piece.  

Most of the basic elements of the room stayed the same, but I did tweak a few places.

Moved my Shark Steam Mop pads out of this blue tub and use it now for dirty clothes.  (My Shark pads and attachments are now inside the cabinets!)

Moved the white wooden yard sale container to near the washer.  It holds detergent, stain remover and dryer sheets now.

I keep my Dyson Vaccuum in the laundry room now.  I absoluetly LOVE this vacuum.  It was my Christmas present, and I couldn't be happier about it.  I haven't found a mess that it won't clean!  I previously kept it in a bedroom closet, but found I was using it all the time because it not only gets the job done, but it is easy to move, quick to clean and works every time.

I added a bulliten board to the space above the peg rack.  It holds coupons and other important info, and mainly keeps clutter off the fridge.  We still have our key holder in this space, too- and that is a great system for our little clan!

This set of four magazine bins from Hobby Lobby has become our "organization station".  I keep one bin for outgoing mail, one for my meal planner/daily planner, one for sunglasses and one for "things to do".  I love this new system and how it works for our family!  It sits on top of the DVD cabinet that I converted to shoe storage for my kids- this system still works great!

 I kept our mop/broom/Shark Mop holder behind the kitchen door- still LOVE this gadget!

 I moved my felt ruffle wreath to above the sink.

And kept my wall-mount hanging things.  Absolutely love these, too!  And I really love the fact that I can flip them up when I don't plan on using them!  I have hung many heavy clothes on these things and never had a problem with them snapping or even starting to break.  They seriously are amazing.


I can't believe how much more open it seems now that the shelves are gone.  The cabinets really give it a finished look and make it seem larger, too.  So grateful for Craigslist finds, my dad, my husband, and a lot of sweat!  Maybe now that enormous load of dirty clothes won't seem to bad!

What rooms have you updated lately?  Anyone got a home remodel project going on this holiday weekend?
Pin It! Buffer

2 comments:

  1. I have that same teal tub! I use it to hold legos, though. I can't wait to have a home that I can paint, put holes in the walls, etc.. Something that I can truly turn into a "home".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some great organizational ideas there. It's amazing how different each version looks.

    dezertsuz at gmail

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...