Friday, March 01, 2013

Organize Your Spices with Baby Food Jars

Wow!  It's been a busy month for me!  I can't believe it's been over two weeks since my last post.  March holds a baby shower I'm hosting, April is a big consignment sale with which I'm partnering, and May is a Strawberry Shortcake birthday party, an upcoming event at church, and an end of the year pool party for the kids' classmates.  It's gonna be a busy spring!

I've been bit by the spring cleaning bug, and started with my spices.  Ever since my freezer cooking day last year, I've been brainstorming about how to re-vamp my spices.  For quite sometime, I've had them on the side of my fridge in stainless steel containers from Ikea.  More info about that project can be found here.


But a friend at work recently mentioned her infant eating baby food, and the wheels started turning....  I asked her to save jars for me, and another friend started saving, and before long I had a large variety of baby food jars!


Most of the jars are of the 4 oz size (Stage 1), but a few are of the 6 oz size (Stage 2).



I washed them all in hot water, removed the adhesive from the label, and ordered these Avery office labels from Amazon.


Using Microsoft Word, I typed in all the names of the labels and printed out two sheets of round stickers.  Transferring the spices from the Ikea containers to the baby food jars was my favorite part - I just loved smelling all the spices!  :)


Arranging the new jars in the drawer was my second favorite part!


And now, I love opening this drawer each day and finding the spices.  It's the little things.




So what happened to the Ikea containers?  I plan on using them in the sewing room to organize buttons, similar to how I organize my ribbon.  Stay tuned!
Pin It! Buffer

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your spice organization. I used baby food jars for mine as well and did chalkboard labels however you labels look so much better! So clean and professional looking! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you re-purposed otherwise recycling jars to create an organized system for your spices! Organized, uniform & within reach...great job! Pinned it so others will be inspired, too!

    Blessings,

    Jarnette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I have a drawer for spices, but I lay mine down flat because my drawer is only about 2.75" tall. How tall are 4oz baby food jars? Standing them up on end with labels would be much cleaner and easier to read though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been saving baby food jars for this same purpose. I'm trying to decide how to label them. Yours look great! BTW - I have an iPad KIC Mount giveaway going on right now if you would like to come enter. http://eatcakefordinner.blogspot.com/2013/03/ipad-kic-mount-giveaway-and-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a cool idea! Stopping by from the Beneath My Heart March linky party!

    Cher @ Designs by Studio C
    http://designsbystudioc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saved baby food jars for YEARS but I threw them away, not being able to come up with an idea.

    I think my drawers are too shallow though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I have been saving every single baby food jar for a few projects. They are so useful and we already paid for them! Congrats on being featured over at iHeartOrganizing! :) New Facebook follower. (http://www.mycraftingattic.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic. I LOVE how you repurposed those jars.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...