This post is part of a series. To view the entire Pink and Purple Party series, please click here.
My daughter's birthday is this weekend and we're having a small party with family and some of her closest friends. I'll be sharing a few of my frugal and handmade decorations with you over the next few days.
When I started planning this party, I chose to go with a color theme of pink and purple. I used all shades of both colors, so I didn't have to worry about finding an exact match for any one color. I have really just let the colors define the party into a very girly theme..... we're all about ruffles, hot pink, polka dots, lavender, stripes, bold purple, flowers and pale pink!
Tonight, I've chosen to post about the napkin rings.
I found two easy patterns for felt flowers here and here. I divided the number of attendees in half and made equal numbers of both patterns.
The first link (from the DIY dish) is very easy to make and has good instructions. The second link is also easy, but there's a few tips I'd like to add to this tutorial. These instructions will only make sense if you read the link first as I am adding my own tips and tricks to the original tutorial.
Once your circles are cut, put a line of hot glue across your circle.
Fold in half and press down. This is really the key to getting all those layers of felt to stick together. I was about to give up on this flower until I started adding this step.
I like to fold my semi-circle about 2/3 over... I think this gives the flowers more dimension and pop!
See how the top fold is shorter than the bottom fold?
So now you have your "S".
Once you have five petals, then grab an extra circle to serve as your base.
Make a little circle of hot glue on to your circle base.
Hurry! Stick your petals on before the glue dries!
Good job! You made it! At this point, I say you are finished with "Phase One". It's really important to let the glue get good and dry now. Let your flower sit for at least one hour. This will let the glue harden and make your flower stiff. In the meantime, you can get your covered button ready!
You can also start cutting your napkin rings. I used 3" pieces of 2" wide grosgrain ribbon. You could use elastic, fabric scraps, or whatever you have on hand.
Once your felt flower had dried, you can glue on the fabric covered button and let that dry for another 10 minutes or so. This is "Phase Two". :)
Then, flip your flower over to make the napkin ring.
Glue one end to the back of your flower, just to the left of the center of the base circle. Let dry for about 5 minutes.
Put another strip of glue just parallel to the raw edge of your ribbon.
Loop your ribbon around and let the entire flower napkin ring dry for at least one hour.
I recommend using something like the handle of a butter knife to push the napkin ring into the glue. This is "Phase Three".
When you are ready to insert your napkins, you can fold them as I did into a long and skinny piece.
Gently pull through the loop until it is centered on the flower. This is "Phase Four- the Final Phase!" :)
Display and enjoy!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment