Wednesday, February 08, 2012

My Side-of-the-Road Chair Restoration


Several months ago, my friend Cherilee from church asked me to come by her house.  She had found a set of four chairs on the curb of her neighbor's home and she quickly put them in her garage with me in mind.  "I just knew you could give new life to these chairs, Amy", she said.


So, with that challenge before me, I got to work.  I used Alexander Henry's Mocca Red fabric and Valspar spray paint.  Can I just say that I love Valspar spray paint?  It really pays to buy the good stuff!  I bought it at Lowe's, and was not disappointed in the least.  I love the comfort tip sprayer, love the locking cap, and love the smooth finish of the paint.  It leaves nothing be desired!  As someone who used to always buy the $0.96 spray paint from Wal-Mart, I can now say that I have seen the light and cross to the other side of high-quality, you-get-what-you-pay-for spray paint.  I will never buy cheap spray paint again!


I removed the seat and back cushions and pulled out about 962 staples.  At one point I got so sick of pulling out staples that I just started cutting away the fabric.  This, by far, was the most time consuming part of this chair.  Nonetheless, I still did this entire project in less than three hours.


Once the frame was dry and my new fabric was secured on the seat and back, I used the original screws to secure it all back together.  I am so incredibly thrilled with the results!  And the price?  Well the chair was free and the fabric I had bought months ago and have been slowly integrating it into my living and dining room.


Once I brought the chair inside, I found the perfect place for it and tried it with a pillow, and without.


I can't decide if it needs a pillow or not.  What do you think?


We host a Growth Group from our church on a regular basis, so we are always looking for extra seating!  And the best news of all?  I have three more chairs just like this in the garage!
Pin It! Buffer

7 comments:

  1. Amazing! You're a rock star. That's the fabric my sister is using in her little girl's nursery! We love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, Thanks! What other fabrics is your sister using? i've had trouble finding fabric to coordinate with it. But I LOVE it!!!!

      Delete
  2. Saw your link at Somewhat Simple. I have a chair just like this and have been wanting to redo it. You have inspired me. I am pinning this so I will know how to do it when I have a chance. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project!! It is inspiring me to look for finds, oh and I have some in my own house...need to shop inside first!!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garage is my favorite place to shop! :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous, I LOVE that fabric

    ReplyDelete